Sooo, I saw some of my family that I rarely see, such as the aunt & uncle and cousins who live near Chicago. We grilled, played ghetto baseball, bocce ball, and horseshoes, and just visited. My younger brother races in the summer, and had a race that day, so a few of the family who'd never watched him drive before went off to see the race. While they were doing that (I have no interest in racing), I went to the barn and looked for the new litter of kittens. Found them, but they were practically feral, since Grandma hasn't been able to come out and pet them and acclimate them to people. So, caught a few of them and several of us took turns holding, petting, and soothing them. They calmed down pretty quickly. Several of the cousins left with new kitties at the end of the day. Of course, we ended with fireworks. Mostly smallish ones, but my dad always goes all-out where fireworks are concerned, so he and my brother managed to put together a pretty impressive show as a finale. All in all, it was a very good day.
It looks like this will be the end for Kikyou. So far, I am happy with the way it is playing out. It has me upset, which the death of a beloved character should do. I'm just waiting to see if next chapter will enhance or detract from it. To tell the truth, though I love Kikyou, I really wish her "death" back in the Shichinin-tai arc had been final. It takes away so much of the power and finality to have her come back, and even now with the new chapter, one can't help wondering if this is going to be "the real deal." Though, ahaha, I knew this was going to happen, and that's pretty much where this came from, a few weeks back. I am resigned to the fact that my Kikyou/Kagome fic is destined to end up AR (I already had to switch some things around after the whole bowstring arc), but I do still intend on finishing it. Sadly, I think that will involve gutting it and redoing more stuff, to reconcile what is happening in the manga to what happened in my head.
Because I feel like doing it: Ten things for ten people.
01. Though I am saddened we've drifted apart, I can't help but feel a little used by you as well. True, I could've made more of an effort to keep in touch, but the same goes for you, and I get the impression that once you no longer needed me to give you what you needed (ego-stroking, mostly), you didn't spare a thought to me.
02. I have a bit of a crush on you and it makes me feel guilty.
03. You always make me smile. Your joie de vivre is genuine and infectious. You are kind of my hero.
04. You don't have to try so hard. Really. You have your façade, but at least as far as I'm concerned, it's very easy to find the chinks in your armor and see through to the real you, and it's not a horrible thing. I wish you could just allow yourself to be...you, without building such elaborate fortifications to hide behind.
05. You seem to have gotten cooler towards me, and I'm not sure why or what I could've done to cause that, or even if it's just all in my head. Whether real or imagined, it's making me more hesitant to interact with you, because I'm afraid I'm being a pest.
06. I have a crush on you, too, but I'm more comfortable with it.
07. I wish I could be more at ease around you. It doesn't help that I'm shy to begin with, and it always takes me a little while to loosen up and be myself comfortably around new people, but you intimidate me as well (not in a bad, scary way; I just feel very inadequate around you), so it compounds the problem.
08. I'm so glad I got to know you better. Now I can't imagine life without you. ♥ We will meet IRL one of these days.
09. I can never figure out if you actually like me or are just being polite. Whichever it is, I adore you.
10. It really isn't necessary to leave anonymous comments. I know who you are anyway and I don't think lesser of you because of your opinions, only the way you chose to express them.
I'm not really sure how obvious these are. I'm sure some of them will be easily figured out. *shrug*
I wanted to keep going, but I had to escape because I ended up trapped in a room with no exits. :\ Ur, unless there was some method of egress that I overlooked, in which case, I am an idiot.
Yay, Pirates in a few days (for me)! I'm getting totally psyched.